Tuesday 17 June 2008

17 6 08

After seeing Suzie Bubble treat herself to the Viktor & Rolf for Shu Uemura paperclip false eyelashes, I decided that it was time I gave the whole false eyelash thing a go. When it comes to make up I have to say I’m not a big experimenter; that’s not to say I wouldn’t like to, I just never really have time. My everyday look consists of a thick black line on the top lid with liquid eyeliner, and has done for ages, even before Winehouse ruined it! Although I have to say mine isn’t anywhere near the magnitude of her eyeliner usage.
So, I thought, if I draw on the illusion of thick eyelashes, then why not just try using actual lashes? After a quick browse on the ever faithful internet, I found a couple of websites that looked pretty good.
The first pair of lashes I found was these ones, with white droplets on the ends of the lashes, which reminded me of a photograph by Man Ray from 1932.

False eyelashes with white droplets from bodyjewelleryshop.com £4.50

And also, of this image from the back cover of Madonna’s ‘The Immaculate Collection’ (which I used to absolutely LOVE when I was a kid!)

Then I went onto Shu Uemura’s website and found some extremely ornate (and very expensive!) lashes.


Polka dot lashes from Shu Uemura £25

Brown feather lashes from Shu Uemura £25

They really are the crème de la crème of false lashes! But, if you’re not willing to pay that amount for lashes, then I found similar ones on a different website.

Brown feather effect lashes from mydivascloset.com £5

I think these kinds of lashes would be really fun to wear out to a party or club to add some drama to your look. However, for an everyday look, my favourite are these:

Thick black lashes from ferobeauty.com £1.95

They have a kind of Liza Minnelli in Cabaret feel to me which I totally love.
The only problem now is actually attempting to apply them – eek! That’s another story for another day...

2 comments:

Selina (Flying Saucer) said...

how weird- i bought those lashes with the white drops on the end on tuesday! they were just an impulse purchase as i went because i bought some black feather lashes and they just look like blocks on top of my eyes! the white dot ones look a bit weird, like there's a row of white eyeliner above your lids, but i haven't stuck them on properly. the dots are quite big too, so i was thinking of painting them black as i'm not all together sure the effect is flattering!

Teresa said...

I loooove fake eyelashes, almost to a fault. Once I slurged on some Shu Uemera that borderlined being stripperesque and I had a lot of fun with those. They make the BEST fake eyelashes.